It’s exciting news folks! Grab your megaphones and call the press, because SPEAK is going INTERNATIONAL!
As of January 2017, SPEAK is LAUNCHED in Turin, Italy! Taking SPEAK abroad is an extremely exciting opportunity which will allow us to help more people with the project. We are currently accepting applications for volunteer teachers in Turin to get some classes open! Our volunteers are our heroes here in Portugal and we hope to find teachers who are just as fantastic in Turin too! Also a very special mention to our partner in Italy, Fondazione CRT, who will be a huge help in getting set up there, to our social investor Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian and to Laboratório de Investimento Social who has helped us to get to Italy.
To get everyone excited for this adventure to Italy, we thought we would compile a list of 10 fun facts about our new destination. Enjoy!
- It is located in the North of Italy, on the bank of the river Po
- Turin was the original capital city of Italy
- Torino (in Italian) means little bull
- Legend has it that the Holy Grail is hidden in Turin
- Turin is the birthplace of the liquor Vermouth
- In 2006, Turin was the largest city to host the Winter Olympics
- Parts of the original 1969 film The Italian Job were filmed in Turin
- A famous gelato business called Grom opened its first gelateria in Turin
- The car brand Fiat originated in Turin
- It is said that if you walk on the golden bull embedded in the pavement in Piazza San Carlo, you will have good luck
Don’t forget that we are also opening new SPEAK courses in Portugal NOW! Check our site www.speak.social for more information and to apply for a course!